Rodale Institute is currently seeking a Plant Production Specialist. The individual who fills this position will oversee horticulture operations in all production areas including; greenhouse and field areas of all plants for wholesale, commercial or research use.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- ♦ Create an annual management plan to be submitted in the fall of the preceding year which will include a projected budget; planting, maintenance, and harvest schedules; and log sheets and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for greenhouse and related field operations.
- ♦ Work with SST members to prepare soil for all planting areas following strict organic procedures and processes
- ♦ Physically plant all seeds, transplants bulbs and cuttings.
- ♦ Responsible for the production of food, ornamentals, landscape, and cut flowers.
- ♦ Establish plant growing conditions and set planting and care schedules in accordance with organic regulations as set by USDA
- ♦ Track all production activities using RI approved forms needed for certification purposes.
- ♦ Supervise volunteers, interns and other labor in the production process
- ♦ Support SST and RI team members in educational activities for staff, interns, and outside clientele both on-site in-season and at external meetings
- ♦ Provide information to customers on the care of plants and flowers.
- ♦ Ability to participate in research projects; testing, gathering and compiling data.
- ♦ Prepare and apply compost extracts and tea.
- ♦ Determine types and quantities of plants to be grown, based on budget and projected sales.
- ♦ Assist Marketing Specialist by monitoring and controlling resources by developing budgets, Profit and Loss statements, and projected sales.
- ♦ Implement sales strategies to attain organization’s sales goals and profitability.
- ♦ Assist in developing and controlling sales programs.
- ♦ Assist in providing information for management by preparing short-term and long-term product sales forecasts and analyses.
- ♦ Facilitate inventory turnover and product availability by reviewing and adjusting inventory levels and product schedules.
- ♦ Expand current customer base to include retail.
- ♦ Provide timely feedback to management regarding sales performance.
- ♦ Help the Store create a sales floor display in coordination with the Store Manager.
- ♦ Promote sales of greenhouse products through product development and customer relationships.
- ♦ Determine market needs through industry research.
- ♦ Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- ♦ A degree in Greenhouse Management, Horticulture, Biology, or Plant Sciences.
- ♦ Working knowledge of Soil Microbiology and Botany.
- ♦ Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- ♦ Express an interest in learning/teaching organic production techniques
- ♦ 3 – 5 years’ experience in horticulture production or agriculture infor a retail sales environment.
- ♦ Must be knowledgeable of the fast moving developments in the greenhouse sales industry.
- ♦ Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- ♦ Knowledge of environmental/ NOP/NOSB regulations.
- ♦ Ability to work on all types of equipment.
- ♦ Run, maintain, and repair equipment when needed.
- ♦ Assist with any and all other Strategic Solutions Team requests.
- ♦ Public speaking, presentations, workshops, including being a Keynote Speaker for the Institute.
- ♦ Maintain excellent organic agriculture practices
- ♦ Must be able to lift in excess of 50 pounds.
TRAVEL: Travel to workshops and conferences for further education and network opportunities.
OTHER INSTITUTIONAL EXPECTATIONS:
To be trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
Interested applicants may submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org