With food-related health issues such as obesity, diabetes, and nutrient deficiency on the rise, easy access to fresh, organic produce is becoming more important than ever.
Rodale Institute, the global leader in organic agriculture, is tackling the issue of food access with its new Mobile Market, a portable farm stand that will travel the greater Lehigh Valley area selling organic produce, cheese, bread, and more.
The Mobile Market is a feature of Rodale Institute’s Agriculture Supported Communities (ASC) program, a weekly farm share and Farmers Market focused on bringing organic produce to urban areas and food deserts that otherwise lack access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
“Rodale Institute has always believed in the power of organic food to heal people and communities” said Jeff Moyer, Executive Director of Rodale Institute. “Our new Mobile Market is unique in that it is not tied to one spot. Because it is portable, we are able to expand our reach and bring healthy food from healthy soil to more people, particularly local communities that have traditionally been underserved for organic fruits and vegetables.”
Starting June 8, the Mobile Market will appear weekly at Rodale Institute’s Farmers Market at the Allentown YMCA, Saturdays 9am – 1pm, through October. The Allentown YMCA is located at 425 15th Street, Allentown.
Other “pop-up” locations for the Mobile Market throughout the summer include:
- June 5, 2 – 4pm: Roosevelt Elementary School, 210 W. Susquehanna St., Allentown
- June 7, 12 – 4pm: Fresh Fridays at the Arts Walk, between Hamilton St. and Court St., Allentown
- June 26, 12 – 2pm: Roosevelt Elementary School, 210 W. Susquehanna St., Allentown
- July 11, 12 – 2pm: WIC Office, 1227 Liberty St., Allentown
- July 18 and 25, 12 – 2pm: Rotating markets at Lehigh County Public Assistance offices (Location TBD)
- July 13, 11am – 6pm: Bethlehem VegFest, 100 W. Lehigh St., Bethlehem
- July 24, 12 – 2 pm: Roosevelt Elementary School, 210 W. Susquehanna St., Allentown
- July 26 and 27, 10am – 9pm: Pocono Raceway, 1234 Long Pond Rd., Long Pond
- August 21, 12pm – 2pm: Roosevelt Elementary School, 210 W. Susquehanna St., Allentown
- August 29 – September 4: Farm to Table exhibit at the Allentown Fair, 302 N 17th, Allentown
At all events and markets, the Mobile Market will accept SNAP, WIC, and Farmers Market nutrition program benefits. Lehigh Valley Fresh Food Bucks, a SNAP incentive provided by Buy Fresh Buy Local of the Greater Lehigh Valley, will also be accepted. The Mobile Market will be accessible outside several Lehigh County Public Assistance offices where these benefits are distributed, cutting down on barriers to access and increasing redemption rate.
In addition to organic fruits and vegetables grown on the Rodale Institute farm, local food vendors with certified organic products will be featured at the Mobile Market. These include: Primordial Mushroom Farm from Lenhartsville, PA; Valley Milkhouse Cheese from Oley, PA; Monocacy Coffee Company from Bethlehem, PA; and Walnut Run Farm bread from Honeybrook, PA.
For more information on the Mobile Market and ASC program, or to sign up for updates, visit RodaleInstitute.org/ASC.Find Us On Facebook