July 21 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm EDT$45
This event is intended for agricultural advisors and ag professionals only.
Join us for a field day with OATS discussing practical tools for effective organic soil management. Soil health is at the top of mind for all organic farmers. The benefits of good soil health are prolific – including improved crop health and increased profitability. At this field day, ag advisors and professionals will take a look at the practical tools available for improving soil health in organic field crop systems and how you can help your farmer clients assess the health of their soils. Come ready to learn the theory and see how it is practiced at the Rodale Institute research farm.
Location: Rodale Institute Headquarters
611 Siegfriedale Road, Kutztown, PA 19530
- 9am – Welcome
- 9:15am – Presentation: Introduction to the research farm, Dr. Andrew Smith, Rodale Institute
- 9:45am – Farm tour and soil health assessments in the field, Rodale Research Team
- 11:30am – Post-tour discussion
- 12pm – Lunch (included)
- 12:45pm – Presentation: Overview of Soil Health in Organics & the USDA Organic Regulations, Mallory Krieger, OATS
- 1:40pm – Presentation: Levers that a Manager has to Influence Soil Health, Orin Moyer, Fertrell Company
- 2:30pm – Presentation: Ecological Weed Control & No-till Organic, Lea Vereecke, Rodale Institute
- 3pm – Panel Discussion on organic advising, Rodale Consultant Team (Lea Vereecke, Sam Malriat, Nic Podoll
- 4pm – Adjourn
Are you a CCA? We have applied for CEUs. Check back soon for more information on the number of credits we can provide.
Huge thanks to our regional planning committee: Andrew Smith (Rodale Institute), Maria Pop (Rodale Institute), Sam Malriat (Rodale Institute), Sage Dennis (Fertrell Company), Mary Barbercheck (Pennsylvania State University), and Lamonte Barber (Stroud Water Research Center)