The Vegetable Research Technician position will work on assigned vegetable research projects associated with the Vegetable Systems Trial, a side-by-side comparison of organic and conventional vegetable production located at the Rodale Institute main campus in Kutztown, PA. The vegetable research projects at Rodale Institute include research related to vegetables in various cropping systems as well as those integrated with grains. The projects are applied and practical in nature to link soil health to crop nutrient density and ultimately to human health. This position will report to the Director of the Vegetable Systems Trial, Dr. Gladis Zinati.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform lab and field tasks within the context of research grants, including the following:
- Sample and process soil and plant samples per protocols
- Conduct lab experiments and procedures per written protocols
- Maintain field experiments and collect data
- Tend and maintain field and laboratory experiments
- Process all samples in a timely manner
- Organize samples and send out for analysis
- Contact external laboratories to verify analyses
- Enter, file all collected data
- Assist the supervisor with data preparation for papers and outreach materials
- Assist collaborators with sample collection and processing
- Maintain sufficient inventory of materials, lab supplies, and equipment for performance of duties
- Assist the supervisor in training of new personnel
- Prepare orders for needed supplies
- Conduct other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in soil science, biology, environmental science, agronomy, or a related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in research field/ greenhouse/laboratory work in soils and plant materials (preferably vegetables)
- Ability to follow established protocols and write new protocols
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with and understanding of ArcGIS preferred
- Experience with and understanding of statistics preferred
- Ability to troubleshoot problems
- Experience in managing multiple projects in a fast-paced system
- Experience to work independently and in teams to achieve established outcomes
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Power point) proficiency
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
- Must be willing and able to work in all environmental conditions
- Other Rodale Institute Expectations: To be trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
- Position Type: Full time
- Location: Rodale Institute Headquarters, 611 Siegfriedale Road, Kutztown, PA 19530
- Travel: This position involves local and regional travel to farms that are part of on-farm trials, and occasional regional or national workshops and conferences.
- To apply: Please send cover letter, resume, transcript, names and contact information of three references, and salary requirements to Rebecca Kahle, Human Resources Director, at Resumes@RodaleInstitute.org.
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity or handicap.