Rodale Institute is hiring a Research Farm Manager to oversee farm operations at their main campus in Kutztown, PA. The Rodale Institute main campus is a dynamic farm with projects related to field crops, vegetables, fruit, greenhouse, and livestock production. The Research Farm Manager oversees all aspects of farm production at Rodale Institute with a primary responsibility to ensure high quality field-based research and provide support to the education, communication, and development departments. This position will report directly to the Farm Director. Applicants should be driven, hardworking, and committed to regenerative organic agricultural research. All candidates must be prepared to work in a professional environment, complete tasks carefully and in a timely manner, and work in all weather conditions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct day-to-day farm operations in relationship to crop production. Field responsibilities include, but are not limited to soil preparation, planting, harvesting, weed, pest and disease management, equipment maintenance and repair, etc.
- Manage and coordinate labor efforts among full-time staff as well as seasonal workers and interns when available
- Document and ensure proper documentation of staff of field operations on Rodale Institute forms to satisfy organic certification requirements, research data collection needs, financial accounting and maintain production records on a regular basis
- Coordinate maintenance schedules for tractor(s), truck(s) and other equipment
- Coordinate property maintenance that includes mowing, landscaping, fence repair, pruning, tree removal, and other activities.
- Operate equipment safely and train staff on safe equipment operation (tractors, tractor implements, small engine equipment, and hand tools) in a safe and efficient manner
- Support the research team in creating field experiments and completing field activities, some field data collection will be required
- Support educational and outreach activities through field tours and presentations when necessary.
- Coordinate with Rodale Institute staff for travel needs and purchasing supplies
- Assist the Communication Department with preparing media
- Prepare a yearly budget and report
- Other duties may/will be assigned on a case by case and as-needed basis
- Must be able and willing to work in all types of weather
- Be able to lift in excess of 50 pounds
- Have good communications skills (both written and verbal)
- Be flexible in hours, as farm work can be unpredictable
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat
Education & Experience:
- Must have a bachelor’s degree and five years of experience in agronomic crop production
- Previous management experience and work on research farms or projects is preferred
- Experience specifically with small grains, corn and soybeans is preferred.
- Expectations: Individuals must be committed to the farm’s success, and in turn, the farm will be committed to the individual’s success. To be trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
- Job Type: Full time, salaried with benefits
- Location: Kutztown, PA
- Travel: Travel will be required for farm visits, conferences, grower meetings and workshops.
- To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Rebecca Kahle, Human Resources Director, at Resumes@RodaleInstitute.org.
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity or handicap.