Rodale Institute seeks a Custodian for the main campus located in Kutztown, PA. The Custodian position will perform a variety of duties with primary responsibility to clean office, retail, laboratory, event, and storage space and secondary responsibility to assist with routine property maintenance.
Rodale Institute conducts research, outreach and education for regenerative organic agriculture and our main campus has been a destination for inspiration to a large audience for several decades. The Custodian position is critical in the care of our property and ensure that our site is maintained to the highest standards. Applicants should be driven, hardworking, and respectful to co-workers, visitors, and the property. All candidates must be prepared to work in a professional environment, complete tasks carefully and in a timely manner, and work independently as part of this job will require work outside of normal business hours. This is a full-time position with benefits. This position reports to the Facilities Manager.
Essential duties & responsibilities:
- Primary responsibilities include daily cleaning of indoor offices, retail, laboratory, event, and storage space
- Trash collection and disposal
- Cleaning of outdoor spaces as needed, usually on a routine schedule
- Assist with other facility maintenance such as painting, minor repairs, etc.
- Assist with wedding setups and cleanups as well as other farm events
- Maintain, organize, and clean equipment, and storage areas
- Assist with snow removal
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
- Knowledge of basic cleaning and property maintenance
- Knowledge of basic hand tools and equipment
- Attentive to detail, with the ability to work independently, multi-task and be a team player
- Must be willing to work outside of normal business hours as some time before or after normal working hours is a requirement of this position
- Must be comfortable receiving direction from the facilities manager and other senior level staff
- Able to lift 30 pounds
- Previous cleaning or facilities maintenance experience preferred
- Must be prompt, responsible and focused
- Other Rodale Institute expectations: To be trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
- Location: Rodale Institute, Kutztown, PA
- Schedule: 40 hrs/week, full-time with benefits
- To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Rebecca Kahle, Human Resources Director, at Resumes@RodaleInstitute.org.
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity or handicap.