September 15, 2018 | 10AM-4PM
Fall is the season for apple picking! Rodale Institute is proud to offer the option for families to pick their own apples in our organic orchard. Along with apple picking, we encourage visitors to shop from organic vendors, enjoy organic food and beverages, listen to live music, and partake in wagon tours and more family-friendly activities! Our annual Organic Apple Festival is a fundraiser for Rodale Institute in Kutztown, PA. All proceeds from the event will go directly to benefit the Rodale Institute's research and educational outreach.
We ask that you keep these friendly reminders present:
• Admission to the Organic Apple Festival is free! Parking is a suggested $10 per vehicle donation — View directions to Rodale Institute.
• This is a non-smoking event.
• There are no ATM's on premises. Garden Store, apple check-out, and some vendors accept credit cards. Garden Store offers cash back.
Apple Picking: At the farm, we have a variety of different apples available for picking! We recommend that when picking apples off the tree, work from the bottom up, and always pull up on the able that you are picking. If the apple breaks easily, it’s ripe!
After picking some organic apples from the orchard, stop over to have some family fun at our activity stations:
• Wagon Tour: Come tour our 333-acre farm while riding on our covered wagon pulled by tractor!
• Rotten Apple Rocket: Kids and adults alike enjoy catapulting rotten apples at wooden targets.
• Kid Zone
• Live music: Enjoy a day full of music as local bands join us to perform a variety of tunes!
• Organic Apple Festival Speaker Series: Hear from organizations and authors regarding organic and sustainable agriculture.
• 11:30AM – Boiron's Homeopathic Healing Through Herbs and Flowers: Learn about the important role plants play in homeopathy in this talk led by Christophe Merville, D. Pharm, director of Education and Pharmacy Development at Boiron. This interactive lecture will highlight medicinal uses of flower and herbs as showcased in the Boiron Medicinal Garden currently housed at Rodale Institute.
• 1PM – Berks County Watershed Stewards's The ABCs of Apples and Bees: Penn State Extension-Berks County Master Watershed Stewards will discuss the importance of pollinators, mainly bees, for apples. We will talk about what bees need to succeed and will give recommendations about things homeowners can do to ensure the health of their neighborhood bees.
• 2:30PM – Sustainable Energy Fund: Solarize Lehigh Valley is a program designed to make solar more accessible throughout the Valley. They will discuss some of the myths associated with solar as well as some of the barriers and how this program overcomes them.
Aside from our organic picked apples, we will have a variety of food and beverages available for purchase ranging from our homemade organic apple cider to other tasty apple treats from our vendors! If you are looking for some unique ways to use your apples after harvesting them, check out The Apple Cookbook, available at our Garden Store, which is also open during the festival.
Thank you to all who attended the 9th annual Organic Apple Festival