Duration: March 1- October 31, 2018 (25 hours/average week for 36 weeks). Single season opportunity which may be extended for up to 3 seasons (through 2020) based on first year performance and supervisor’s recommendation. Includes evening and weekend hours.
Compensation: $12/hour. No benefits.
Summary: Rodale Institute is seeking a motivated, organized, and customer service-oriented individual as part-time seasonal support for our farmers markets and Agriculture Supported Communities (ASC) farm share program. The position will manage seasonal staff and market operations on location at the weekly markets in Allentown, PA. Market Coordinator will assist with promotion and coordination of program activities with vendors and partner organizations. The goal of the position is to promote, support and boost sales opportunities for local organic farming enterprises in the region while enhancing access to local, organic foods for low-income and low-access neighborhoods.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Weekly set-up and staffing of Allentown-based farmers markets & distribution sites (in collaboration with Rodale Institute ASC program staff & interns). Includes transporting farm products and customer sales.
• Marketing and promotion of farm share program, markets and farm products. Could include advertising, social media, promotion with partners & local media, signage and more. Work with Director of Communications on marketing plan.
• Work with local vendors (organic dairy, bread, honey, etc.) on a consignment-model (selling their product at the market) or as additional vendors at the markets. Solidify a minimum of 5-10 vendor relationships for the duration of the market season.
• Create & update marketing materials for ASC farm share and farmers markets, such as brochures, fliers and posters.
• Translate promotional materials into Spanish with the help of partner organizations.
• Coordinate cooking demonstrations at markets with partner organizations.
• Promote the acceptance of EBT cards, SNAP benefits and Farmers Market Nutrition Program checks at markets.
• Interview & spotlight local organic producers for a “Regional Guide to Organic Producers” publication.
• Help with evaluation and data of the program, including customer counts, sales records, etc.
• Take mobile farm stand to additional events, community gatherings and markets.
• May coordinate local sponsorships to aid markets, or entertainment/events at market locations.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and trustworthy.
• Experience with bookkeeping, marketing & sales.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Point of Sale
• Physical demands could include standing for long periods of time, and frequent lifting up to 50 pounds, bending and squatting.
• Proficiency or fluency in Spanish preferred.
• Passion for local food, farming, and organic agriculture.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Elaine MacBeth at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org.
About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For over seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet. Learn more at RodaleInstitute.org.
To learn more about additional internship opportunities at Rodale Institute, please visit rodaleinstitute.org/dig-deeper/work-with-us/.