SUMMARY: The Farm Manager/Educator is responsible for the farm operations and Veteran training of the Pocono Organics Farm.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage day to day activities of Farm Operations and Training programs at the Pocono Organic Farm.
• Provide mentoring and advisement in organic management practices and research to owners and students.
• Monitor and control resources by assisting in developing budgets.
• Launch Veteran Farming Training Program at Pocono Organics Farm by registering and welcoming new students, performing intake interviews, and organizing meetings and tours of Rodale’s farm and the Pocono Organic Farm.
• Coordinate curriculum development and delivery and assign instructors as necessary.
• Assist in providing outreach, marketing and recruitment for Veterans Farming Training Program, with emphasis on working with military personnel and military veteran groups in the region.
• Deliver field-based experiential learning, including field trips to military veteran run farms, farm network field days and lunches with service providers and other farms, including urban farmers.
• Complete and follow the Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) implemented by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
• Work with external contractors for facility services.
• Operate farm equipment as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned by management.
• Working knowledge of Soil Microbiology and Botany.
• Experience in operating farm equipment.
• Basic computer skills necessary.
• Ability to work in all types of weather.
• Capable of lifting in excess of 50 pounds.
• Possess good communications skills – both written and verbal.
• Flexible in work hours as farm work can be unpredictable.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• 5 or more years’ experience in managing a farm.
• Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Applied Science
• Pick up supplies and parts as needed.
• Travel to and from Kutztown farm and Poconos farm.
OTHER INSTITUTIONAL EXPECTATIONS:
To be trustful and respectful to all staffand visitors.
Please send resume and cover letter to Director of Finance/Human Resource, Elaine Macbeth, at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org.