Applications are being accepted for a full-time, term-limited biological science technician position at Rodale Institute in Kutztown, PA. This position supports a collaborative research project with the USDA-ARS Eastern Regional Research Center. Duties will be conducted in laboratory, field, and greenhouse settings. Coursework or experience in microbiology, molecular biology, and plant/soil science preferred. Ideal candidates will hold a B.S. in biology, agriculture, or environmental science.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform lab and field management within the context of research grants, including the following:
- Process soil and plant samples.
- Conduct lab experiments and procedures.
- Maintain field experiments and collect soil and plant samples.
- Tend to and maintain experiments.
- Process all samples in a timely manner.
- Organize samples and send out for analysis.
- Contact external laboratories to verify analyses.
- Enter, file, and summarize lab results.
- Assist with data preparation for papers and outreach materials.
- Assist collaborators with sample collection and processing.
- Maintain lab supplies, equipment and facilities.
- Work with other research staff to assume field, lab, and data-entry coordination.
- Support educational programming.
- Must be willing and able to work in all environmental conditions.
- Must be able to lift in excess of 50 lbs.
- Experience with data collection.
- Proficiency and experience in entering and summarizing data in Excel.
- Experience in microbiology and molecular biology preferred.
- Hands-on sustainable agriculture experience (research or production) preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in biology, environmental science, agronomy or a related field.
- Travel: Travel for this position may involve local and regional travel to the USDA-ARS ERRC and farms that are part of on-farm trials, and occasional regional or national travel to workshops and conferences.
- Other institutional expectations: To be trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
- To apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. The mission of the Rodale Institute is to improve the health and well-being of people and the planet through organic leadership. For over seventy years, the Rodale Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.