The Rodale Institute Service Mechanic will be responsible for overseeing all machine and mechanical activities including routine equipment maintenance on a full line of farm/landscape equipment. The Service Mechanic will be provided with a fully outfitted machine shop and will be expected to maintain a clean, organized, efficient and safe workspace. The position is hourly and daily work times are from 7 am to 4 pm, unless stated otherwise.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform both routine and emergency maintenance on all farm, lawn and garden Institute fleet vehicles and miscellaneous equipment and mechanical support to the Institute and document all activities for reporting.
- Conduct equipment inspections for needed tasks and consult with farm manager on weekly priorities.
- Check fuel levels on all fleet vehicles daily and fill when fuel is below ¾ tank.
- Inspect all fleet vehicles for cleanliness daily and wash/vacuum when necessary.
- Maintain and operate the machine shop in a clean, organized, safe and efficient manner for all employees to use.
- Catalog all tools and farm equipment, as well as equipment manuals, for inventory purposes and maintain digitally bi-annually.
- Order repair parts and shop supplies necessary to run the shop in consultation with farm director on budget.
- Winterize farm equipment to ensure proper function in the spring.
- Note: Other duties may/will be assigned on a case by case and as-needed basis.
- Create a transferable system (hard copy and digital) for documenting work activities, task lists, maintenance logs, equipment services, etc.
- Maintain daily/weekly/monthly/yearly list of activities.
- Assist with field supervisor/farm manager with documentation of all operations on Institute forms to satisfy organic certification requirements, research data collection needs, and Institute financial accounting.
- Assist in any day-to-day field operations in relationship to crop production, field research, landscaping, and facilities the field supervisor/farm manager as needed.
- Must be able and willing to work in all types of weather, be able to lift 50 pounds or more, have good communications skills – both written and verbal, and be flexible in hours as farm work can be unpredictable.
- Work independently along with other departments, extremely hard working and able to operate all hand tools and equipment.
Education and/or Experience:
- Must have a technical degree and/or 3 years of experience as a service or maintenance mechanic
- To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Elaine Macbeth at email@example.com.
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.