Rodale Institute is seeking an enthusiastic and driven individual to join our team as the Pack House Operations Assistant at the St. Luke’s-Rodale Institute Organic Farm. This farm is a partnership between Rodale Institute and St. Luke’s Hospital to build an innovative farm-to-institute model. The individual will work with the St. Luke’s Packhouse Operations Specialist to process and deliver safe, healthy, organic produce to the hospitals in the St. Luke’s Health Network. The Packhouse Operations Assistant will not only help wash and pack produce for the farm’s wholesale operation, but also handle produce for the farm’s CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program.
Responsibilities could include:
- Assist the Packhouse and Distribution Coordinator with washing and packing farm produce.
- Work with Packhouse and Distribution Coordinator and CSA Coordinator to allocate produce to proper locations.
- Help maintain the farm’s standards for productivity and efficiency.
- Help maintain an organized, clean, and safe pack house.
- Help maintain organized, clean, and safe walk-in coolers.
- Assist the Packhouse and Distribution Coordinator with recordkeeping.
- Aid with distribution (organize and pack orders).
- Help maintain Organic and GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) records.
- Help clean and maintain pack house equipment and tools.
- Help with cleaning harvest and packing bins.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Previous farming and/or produce handling experience is preferred.
- It is preferred that applicants have an interest in pursuing a career in organic agriculture.
- Incredibly organized, attentive to detail, with the ability to work independently, multi-task and be a team player.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Individuals must be committed to the farm’s success, and in turn, the farm will be committed to the individual’s success.
- Location: St. Luke’s Hospital Anderson Campus located in Easton, PA.
- Schedule: 40 hours/week, Monday thru Friday, starting 6/1/21 and ending 11/2/21.
- To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth at firstname.lastname@example.org
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.