Rodale Institute is offering a Farm Manager position for our Regional Resource Center, Midwest Organic Center (MOC). The MOC at Eztel Sugar Grove Farm provides research, education, and assistance on regenerative organic practices. Additionally, the MOC acts as an educational center for the public, and the site of collaboration between Rodale Institute researchers and local partners. The MOC is located in Marion, Iowa, north of Cedar Rapids. This position will report to the Rodale Institute Director of Research at the MOC. Applicants should be committed to advancing regenerative organic agriculture practices. All candidates must be prepared to work in a professional environment, complete tasks carefully and in a timely manner, and work in an assortment of weather conditions.
- Conduct day-to-day farm operations in relationship to crop production. Field responsibilities include, but are not limited to, soil preparation, planting, harvesting, weed, pest and disease management, equipment maintenance and repair
- Work closely and in a collaborative manner with MOC research and education staff
- Assist with research activities when necessary and carry out field plans for research projects
- Manage and coordinate labor efforts among seasonal workers and interns
- Document field operations on Rodale Institute forms to satisfy organic certification requirements, research data collection needs, financial accounting and maintain production records on a regular basis
- Coordinate maintenance schedules for tractor(s), truck(s) and other equipment
- Coordinate landscaping and facility maintenance and repairs among Indian Creek Nature Center staff
- Operate equipment (tractors, tractor implements, small engine equipment, and hand tools) in a safe and efficient manner
- Educate and train temporary staff and interns to carry out the day-to-day activities of the managed operation
- Provide field tours and presentations for outreach and education when necessary
- Coordinate with Rodale Institute staff for travel needs and purchasing supplies
- Assist the Communications Department with preparing media
- Prepare a yearly budget and report
- Skills in fabrication of farm equipment considered a plus
- Other duties may/will be assigned on a case by case and as-needed basis
Must be able and willing to work in all types of weather, be able to lift in excess of 50 pounds, have good communications skills (both written and verbal), and be flexible in hours, as farm work can be unpredictable. Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat.
Education and/or experience:
Must have a bachelor’s degree and/or 5 years of experience in organic horticultural or agronomic crop production.
Type: Full time, salaried with benefits.
Expectations: Individuals must be committed to the farm’s success, and in turn, the farm will be committed to the individual’s success. To be trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
Travel: Travel will be required for farm related activities, farm visits, conferences, grower meetings and workshops.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth, Director of Finance/HR, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.