The Research Technician position works on assigned research projects as designated by the Scientist at the Midwest Organic Center. Research projects include both applied and basic projects in regenerative agriculture, soil research principles and methodology.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform lab and field management within the context of research grants, including the following:
- Process soil and plant samples.
- Conduct lab/greenhouse experiments and procedures.
- Tend and maintain experiments.
- Process all samples in a timely manner.
- Organize samples and send out for analysis.
- Contact external laboratories to clarify analyses.
- Enter, file, and summarize lab results
- Assist with data preparation for papers and other presentations.
- Support GIS mapping of farm and research plots
- Assist collaborators with sample collection and processing.
- Maintain lab/greenhouse/field supplies and facility.
- Work with other research staff to assume field, lab, and data-entry coordination.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in biology, environmental science, agronomy or a related field.
- Experience with data collection.
- Proficiency and experience in entering and summarizing data in Excel.
- Experience with and understanding of ArcGIS preferred.
- Hands-on sustainable agriculture experience (research or production) preferred.
- Be honest, respectful and take ownership of our work and mission.
Location: Marion, Iowa
Travel: Travel for this position involves trips to farms that are part of on-farm trials, and trips to local, regional or national workshops and conferences.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org.
About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For over seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.Explore More Job Openings