The Information Technology (IT) System Administrator is a part-time position and will maintain Rodale Institute’s computing environment by identifying system requirements, installing upgrades, monitoring system performance, and supporting end users. This position will provide information technology support while working with Integra One in Allentown, PA to maintain and improve our client/server information technology systems environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Facilities Director to oversee the IT budget, prepare budget requests and forecast future needs.
- Select hardware and software purchases and upgrade computing systems by conferring with Integra One and as directed, vendors and other service providers; develop, test, evaluate, and install enhancements and new software, as finally approved by Facilities Director, Director of Finance or Executive Director.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components as required.
- Maintain optimal computing system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware, software, networks, and operating systems.
- Plan, select (once approved), install, configure and test PC and server hardware, software, LAN and WAN networks, and operating and system management systems.
- Manage payroll system, accounting system, development system and store/visitors center Point of Sale (POS) system.
- Manage servers, including evaluate and apply upgrades and patches to operating system, monitor backups and perform restores. Plan for future server upgrades.
- Manage phone system.
- Define and implement system and operational policies and procedures.
- Establishes system specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements.
- Maintain disaster recovery (business continuity) plan.
- Monitor network storage and archive old or unused files.
- Create and update systems documentation including lists of all software and licenses for the Institute, network and email accounts including account permissions.
- Add or delete user mail and network accounts as directed.
- Verify that virus protection software is up-to-date and cleaning any viruses that infect staff computers.
- Train and assist staff in efficient use of hardware and software installed.
- Order computer supplies: printer cartridges, disks, etc.
- Perform computer relocation services and setup new work areas as employees move or change work locations.
- Assure discreet handling of all business and perform confidential tasks as assigned.
- Handle day-to-day issues/concerns from staff within our office, as well as remotely when not in the office, in addition to performing systems administration tasks.
- 2+ years’ experience in system administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field.
- Aptitude and desire to learn new technologies.
- Trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
Location: Rodale Institute, 611 Siegfriedale Road, Kutztown, PA 19530
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org.
About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For over seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.Explore More Job Openings