Rodale is offering four seasonal positions for individuals to assist in maintaining the landscape/grounds, CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), and ornamental gardens at Rodale Institute’s Founders Farm Campus located in Allentown, PA. Individuals should be driven, hardworking, and committed to organic landscape practices. All Candidates must be prepared to work in a professional environment, complete tasks carefully and in a timely manner, and be willing to work in all weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for ongoing landscaping and grounds maintenance by mowing, trimming, pruning, irrigation, removal of leaves, trash and other debris.
- Responsible for maintenance of plants/gardens indoors and outside including but not limited to watering, mulching, weeding and irrigation of gardens and beds.
- Package and distribute vegetable, herbs, and flowers for Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) customers.
- Maintain accurate lawn, garden and landscaping/grounds records including Good Agricultural Practices (GAP).
- Implement organic weed and pest control measures.
- Harvest herbs and flowers by applying compost teas and fertilizers.
- Establishment of garden beds and planting of transplants.
- Maintain, organize, and clean equipment and storage areas.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Previous landscaping/grounds keeping experience is preferred.
- Interest in agriculture, landscaping, and farming, with a commitment to an organic planet.
- Incredibly organized, attentive to detail, ability to work independently, multi-task and be a team player.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Knowledge and experience using landscaping and grounds keeping equipment.
- Ability to follow directions, problem solving skills and common sense preferred.
- Must be prompt, responsible and focused.
- Must be able to move freely around the farm, have the ability and willingness to operate machinery.
Location: Rodale Institute’s Founders Farm, 2056 Minesite Road, Allentown, PA
Seasonal positions available:
- June 3 – August 17: 40/week for 10 weeks (week of July 1 Assistant Staff is off); 2 positions available
- April 29 – September 21: 40/week for 20 weeks (week of July 1 Assistant Staff is off); 2 positions available
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth, Director of Finance/HR, at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org.
Deadline: Please send materials no later than March 1, 2019.
About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.Learn more about additional opportunities at Rodale Institute