Oversee all greenhouse and landscape production; in-house use, wholesale/retail sales and research use.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create an annual management plan (to be submitted in the fall of the preceding year) which will include a projected budget; planting, maintenance, and harvest schedules; and log sheets and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for greenhouse and related field operations.
- Work with in-house Strategic Solutions Team (farm operations and research team) members to prepare soil for all planting areas following strict organic procedures and processes, and plant all seeds, transplants, bulbs and cuttings.
- Establish plant growing conditions and set planting and care schedules in accordance with organic regulations as set by USDA.
- Track all production activities using Rodale Institute approved forms needed for certification purposes.
- Supervise volunteers, interns, and other labor in the production process.
- Support Rodale Institute team members in educational activities for staff, interns, and outside clientele both on-site in-season and at external meetings.
- Ability to participate in research projects; testing, gathering and compiling data.
- Determine types and quantities of plants to be grown, based on budget and projected sales.
- Assist Marketing Specialist by monitoring and controlling resources by developing budgets, Profit and Loss statements, and projected sales.
- Implement sales strategies to attain organization’s sales goals and profitability.
- Assist in providing information for management by preparing short-term and long-term product sales forecasts and analyses.
- Facilitate inventory turnover and product availability by reviewing and adjusting inventory levels and product schedules.
- Promote sales of greenhouse products through product development and customer relationships.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- A degree in Greenhouse Management, Horticulture, Biology, or Plant Sciences.
- Working knowledge of Soil Microbiology and Botany.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Express an interest in learning/teaching organic production techniques.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in horticulture production or agriculture for a retail sales environment.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Knowledge of environmental/NOP/NOSB regulations.
- Ability to operate farm equipment and tools.
- Assist with any and all other farm operations and research requests.
- Public speaking, presentations, workshops, including being a Keynote Speaker for the Institute.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
Location: Rodale Institute, 611 Siegfriedale Road, Kutztown, PA 19530
Travel: Travel to workshops and conferences for further education and network opportunities.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org.
About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For over seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.Explore More Job Openings