Rodale Institute is seeking a Facilities Manager to oversee the upkeep of all Rodale Institute buildings and their required maintenance at the Kutztown, PA Headquarters. This property includes barns, houses, greenhouses, store and welcome center, offices, and outbuildings. The Facilities Manager will work together with other team members to ensure all tasks, projects and maintenance needs are handled in a timely, professional, efficient and cost-effective manner. This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
Essential duties & responsibilities:
- Work independently, and in a team, to accomplish projects, tasks, and issues, both scheduled and unscheduled, that may arise concerning building maintenance.
- Provide report to Chief Operating Officer on tasks/projects accomplished as well as tasks/projects still needing work as requested.
- Oversee new construction projects from design to completion.
- Provide estimated costs for repairs and materials as needed and requested.
- Work closely with administrative staff to procure supplies and schedule activities, service calls, and contractor appointments.
- Monitor wells and septic, including water sampling and testing and working with water testing contractor.
- Monitor heat and fuel levels (oil/gas/diesel/propane) and boilers, heaters, and A/C units in all buildings.
- Manage the facilities budget and work activity records.
- Complete typical projects and tasks, including basic plumbing, heating, A/C, carpentry, painting, installing signs, snow and ice removal, set up and tear down for events.
- Manage the wood shop and non-farm-related storage areas.
- Complete small building projects that may include greenhouse endwall construction, erecting walk-in coolers, and room renovations (drywall, spackling, sanding, painting, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Organized, attentive to detail, ability to work independently, multi-task and be a team player.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Knowledge and experience in using basic construction tools.
- Ability to follow directions, problem solving skills and common sense.
- Must be prompt, responsible and focused.
- Must be able to work on-site after hours and on weekends and respond to emergencies as they arise.
- Must have the ability and willingness to operate machinery.
- Confidentiality: Assure discreet handling of all financial information.
- Other Rodale Institute expectations: To be trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
- Schedule: Full time, 40 hr/week.
- To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth, Director of Finance/HR, at email@example.com.
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.