Rodale Institute is seeking a driven and hardworking individual to work in a team setting to care for and maintain the facilities and grounds at the Founders Farm campus. A successful candidate will have an interest and working knowledge in general lawn/garden work, basic carpentry skills and light equipment use and maintenance activities. Individuals must be committed to working in all weather conditions. All candidates must be prepared to work in a professional environment, complete tasks carefully and in a timely manner.
- Lawn mowing and maintenance
- String trimming
- Tree pruning and limb removal
- General grounds maintenance
- Weed and pest management
- Maintain accurate lawn and grounds records
- Pool maintenance (vacuum and skim for debris)
- Facilities maintenance (simple repairs in plumbing, structural damage to buildings, minor electrical problems, replacing light bulbs and smoke detector batteries, etc.)
- Put up event tents when needed
- Check and change air and water filters in farmhouses yearly
- Repair simple plumbing, electrical and carpentry issues as needed
- Assist other departments as needed
- Maintain, organize, and clean lawn equipment and storage areas
- Maintain, organize, and clean all facilities tools and equipment
- Winterize farm and all buildings, hydrants, etc.
- Snow removal and salt walkways and driveways
- Previous groundskeeping and facilities maintenance experience is preferred
- Interest in agriculture, landscaping, and farming, with a commitment to an organic planet
- Incredibly organized, attentive to detail, ability to work independently, multi-task and be a team player
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions
- Knowledge and experience using lawn mowing equipment, string trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw, drip irrigation systems, and garden tools preferred
- Knowledge and experience in using basic construction tools preferred
- Ability to follow directions, problem solving skills and common sense preferred
- Must be prompt, responsible and focused
- Must be able to move freely around the farm, have the ability and willingness to operate machinery
Location: Rodale Institute Founders Farm, Allentown, PA
Position type: Full time, year-round
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth, Director of Finance/HR, to email@example.com.
About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For over seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.