The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for overseeing the Rodale Institute’s global marketing, communications, and public relations strategies along with the management of our Institute’s brand footprint. As the brand leader, Director of Marketing and Communications executes the core strategies, vision, and mission of Rodale Institute in and through our brand platforms. The Director of Marketing and Communications is directly responsible for providing leadership that ensures Rodale Institute’s marketing and communications strategies achieve the growth goals of our expanding organization. They will lead a staff of professionals responsible for developing, implementing, and executing a marketing strategy and a robust communications program that will support Rodale Institute’s rapid growth. The Director of Marketing and Communications reports to the Chief Impact Officer.
Essential duties & responsibilities:
- Responsible for implementation of comprehensive marketing, communication and public relations plans and measure actions that enhance the organization’s mission.
- Develop and ensure branding and messaging supports Rodale Institute’s programs by building effective strategies, goals, benchmarks, and spreading awareness of Rodale Institute’s mission globally and nationally.
- In collaboration with the Development Team, effectively identify leads for fundraising and help build a successful relationship with external partners and donors by leveraging all marketing channels.
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time.
Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications and marketing plan.
Oversees the annual report, marketing materials, and electronic communication is including website, news, and all social media platforms.
- Broaden the awareness of Rodale Institute’s programs and priorities by increasing the visibility to key audiences.
- Create marketing relations strategy that will allow Rodale to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communication and marketing opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Identify and develop compelling stories and utilizes the best medium to tell these stories in a manner that enhances the mission.
- Serves as a spokesperson on media interactions that promotes the mission.
- Prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Cultivates and manages press relationships.
- Drive media engagement and growing awareness of the work of the organization by defining and ensuring consistency of brand identity across all platforms.
- Manage the Marketing and Communications budget and provide oversight to our external creative agency and other external marketing stakeholders.
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the communication’s team.
- Monitors staff performance and development of goals, set objectives, and conducts performance reviews.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Chief Impact Officer or the Chief Executive Officer.
- This position requires a high level of communication and marketing with sophisticated audiences and high levels of responsibility, integrity, confidentiality, and sensitivity.
- Ability to develop and execute successful innovative marketing and communications programs and branding campaigns.
- Working knowledge of nonprofit organizations and the organic community.
- Ability to understand and then use data to drive decision-making and strategic planning.
- Ability to build strong relationships with various constituencies.
- Evidence of superior strategic planning, organizational development, and organization building skills.
- Experience directing the creation of and writing for organizational newsletters, annual reports, and other communication pieces.
- Ability to think creatively and assist with the development of unique and effective strategies to meet the organizational goals.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and fast-growing organization with a strong, diverse, and ambitious culture.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills and ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and foster long-term relationships.
- Experience with planning, writing, editing, and production of press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications.
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible to work on a wide variety of projects.
- Ability to foster and promote a culture of high performance, mentoring, and collaboration.
- Able to work independently and has the ability to implement new initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters preferred in: Marketing, Communications, or related degree or equivalent advanced degree experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of marketing and/or communications management experience in a Non-Profit organization.
- This position will require travel.
- Please send a cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth, Director of Finance/HR, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Position Type: Full-time, 40 hours/week.
- Location: Rodale Institute Headquarters, 611 Siegfriedale Road, Kutztown, PA 19530
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.