Rodale Institute is seeking an experienced communications professional to lead content strategy and media relations. This team member will play an integral role in our branding: overseeing strategy for our website, email marketing and social media; leading content creation & copywriting for campaigns and educational content; and being the chief liaison with media, proactively guiding our earned media strategy. An ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of digital communications, a love for storytelling, be an excellent writer, and have a proven track record for amplifying content, building campaigns, and growing an audience. Working knowledge and passion for regenerative organic agriculture strongly preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop content strategy for Rodale Institute platforms, including website, social media and email marketing. Will include editorial calendar, campaigns, partnerships with other organizations and media outlets, and developing key tactics for each platform such as contests, video content, and more.
- Help execute strategy by being lead content creator and copywriter for the Institute. This can include writing content for print and digital outlets, art direction of video and photo shoots, and developing story ideas.
- Track and report analytics to better understand our demographics, reach and key milestones.
- Lead earned media strategy, including developing relationships with media and influencers, creating press pitches, coordinating press events and media interviews, and maintaining public relations software and analytics on media coverage.
- Assist in revamping our email marketing platform, including building several key email campaigns such as a re-engagement campaign, an onboarding campaign, and a donation drive campaign. Work on acquisition concepts for email marketing.
- Play a key role in creating a Rodale Institute ambassador program, developing a list of influencers and guest bloggers, and developing a strategy to utilize these partners to elevate our brand, engage a wider audience, and to connect soil health and organic farming to human health and policy.
- Create educational content, including guides, blogs, and online courses, as well as support development with fundraising initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Passion and understanding for regenerative organic agriculture.
- Broad communications experience covering social media, blogging, email marketing, and basic website/CMS maintenance.
- Strategic thinker, able to create holistic plans, goals, tactics to reach them, and metrics to measure success.
- Leadership qualities, including ability to manage other staff and represent the Institute publicly.
- Understanding of best practices in digital communications and multimedia required. Multimedia skills, such as photography, video or graphic design a plus.
- Experience in public relations, such as pitching, on-camera interviews, holding media events, and media training.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and detail- oriented.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under deadlines.
- Experience with web analytics.
- Basic understanding and comprehension of science and research a plus.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Hiring: January 2019
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt.
Please send a resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and at least three diverse work samples to Elaine MacBeth at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org. Please include a sample press release, and social media handles or personal website or blog. Can also include portfolios of relevant work.
ABOUT RODALE INSTITUTE
Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For over seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.Explore More Job Openings