Are you a strong communicator with a passion for organic food and farming, consumer education, kids & families, and event planning? Rodale Institute is looking for a well-rounded Communications Specialist to lead several projects, including our Grow Clean Water consumer campaign, in addition to playing an important role in our organization’s outreach and internal communications.
Essential duties & responsibilities:
- Grow Clean Water Consumer Education Campaign— the Communications Specialist will lead our “Grow Clean Water” campaign for the next three years. The goal of the campaign is to educate young families in the Philadelphia area about the connection between healthy organic farms and clean water. The Communications Specialist will manage the execution of the campaign, including programming, events, website, social media and email marketing content, advertising, videos, and other deliverables. Knowledge of the Philadelphia area and/or Philadelphia organizations and institutions is a plus. Previous work with kids and families is a plus. Experience with leading fully integrated campaigns is a plus. Some travel will be required for events.
- Writing, Copy Editing and Content Creation— an ideal candidate will be a strong writer and editor with excellent grammar who is comfortable whipping up text or proofreading. The Communications Specialist will oversee our monthly internal newsletter, as well as assist with fundraising campaigns and generating content for social media, email marketing, and web.
- Marketing Support— the Communications Specialist will assist with marketing needs for programs and initiatives such as our Virtual Campus courses, our Organic Crops Consulting Services, and more.
- Project Management—the Communications Specialist will help with communications & marketing projects to ensure timely completion and seamless execution. This could include getting pricing quoted from vendors, filing projects internally, and generating reports on completed projects. An ideal candidate for this role is organized, detail-oriented, and has excellent internal communication skills.
- Other duties as assigned—our team is small, and we wear many hats! An ideal candidate in this role will be a well-rounded communications professional who can jump in to assist with (or is willing to learn) Mailchimp, social media, WordPress, events, advertising and planning digital events like webinars or panels.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing or another related field.
- Excellent communication skills, including internal communication.
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills, including grammar.
- Experience with consumer education.
- Well-rounded communications experience, including social media, website content, email marketing, event planning and more.
- Ability to produce accurate work under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of and interest in organic food and farming, environmental issues, and science strongly preferred.
- Position Type: Part-time, 30-35 hours/week.
- Location: Rodale Institute Headquarters, 611 Siegfriedale Road, Kutztown, PA 19530
- To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, three writing samples, and your favorite trick for staying organized to Elaine Macbeth at elaine.macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org.
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.