The Communications Manager will support the public image of Rodale Institute, working closely with the Marketing & Communications, Research, and Development departments, as well as senior leadership, to increase awareness, exposure, and donations for the Institute through Rodale’s website, social media, speeches, interviews, public relations, development communications, proposals, and marketing.
Working collaboratively with Rodale Institute staff, this person will provide strategic communications capacity for the External Affairs department in order to fully utilize media, written content, direct & digital marketing, and events to increase the Institute’s organizational profile on a global stage. This position will activate new and existing audiences of Rodale Institute in order to raise public awareness of Rodale Institute’s work and mission culminating in increased philanthropic donations to the Institute.
This position will report to the Director of Marketing & Communications and be based in Rodale Institute’s downtown Kutztown office.
The Communications Manager will lead the development and maintenance of a consistent brand voice for the Institute and increase visibility of the Institute’s programs, research, and staff on a global stage. Essential functions include:
- Management of Owned Media
- Write, edit, and oversee the content produced for Rodale Institute’s website, blog, emails, newsletters, brochures, reports, white papers, social media, videos, and more
- Communicate with various audiences including farmers, scientists, consumers, and the public while expanding the Institute’s integration and relationships with audiences focused on food access, social justice, and climate advocacy
- Ensure that the Marketing & Communications team reaches stated goals while working with staff in all departments to ensure cooperation to publicize programs or research
- Launch podcast for audiences interested in regenerative organic agriculture
- Review and update content for accuracy, voice, readability, timeliness, and relevance
- Develop and execute communications and promotions plans
- Create editorial calendars and workflow schedules
- Overview of External Communications
- Help shape the “Voice of Rodale Institute” as told by staff including the CEO, researchers, consultants, and others when they speak publicly, write op-eds and columns, or appear in front of media
- Develop talking points for staff, both in general for Rodale Institute and for specific opportunities
- Editing and proofing writing done by staff for outside publications
- Assist with information for Grant Proposals
- Coordination and Participation in Publicity
- Manage requests by media, outside partners and staff for information regarding Rodale Institute, regenerative organic agriculture, our research and history
- Schedule and facilitate interviews of staff members by outside media, and potentially be the subject of interviews
- Provide tours of Rodale Institute main campus and travel to satellite campuses as necessary
- Monitor and report on reach of Rodale Institute across press and outside media, including social media
- Staff any special events and opportunities as necessary
Responsibilities and Scope:
- Responsible for the work and growth of communications team, including the direct management of Videographer and Digital Marketing Specialist
- Hire and manage interns
- Work with outside contractors as necessary
- Develop strategic partnerships with media to raise public profile of Rodale Institute
- Consistently engage with and learn new methods of writing, content creation, the capabilities and opportunities of new media, and the best practices for publicity and marketing to continuously improve the effectiveness of the Institute’s communications strategy
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience in the creation of and writing for organizational newsletters, annual reports, and other communication pieces.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and fast-growing organization with a strong, diverse, and ambitious culture.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills and ability to influence and engage a wide range of audience and partners to foster long-term relationships.
- Experience with planning, writing, editing, and production of press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications.
- Understanding of local, national, and international news landscape.
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible to work on a wide variety of projects.
- Able to work independently and has the ability to implement new initiatives.
- Advanced writing and editing skills and excellent verbal communication skills.
- Detailed knowledge of current online tools and marketing trends, including SEO.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office, Social Media Apps, and list management tools.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Positive attitude and ability to build relationships.
- Multilingual (Spanish and/or Italian) a plus.
- May need to lift objects up to 25 lbs. on occasion.
- Travel may be required.
- Must be able to comfortably commute to Kutztown, PA.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications, public relations or marketing, or relevant experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of communications and/or marketing experience, preferably in a Non-Profit organization.
- Experience specifically within the organic agriculture and food systems is preferred
- Position Type: Full-time, 40 hours/week.
- Location: Rodale Institute Headquarters, Kutztown, PA
- To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Resumes@RodaleInstitute.org.
- About Rodale Institute: Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet.