Job Title: Content Creation & Media Relations Specialist
Reports to: Director of Communications
Hiring: January 2018
Summary: Rodale Institute is seeking a dynamic communications professional to be an integral team member in our outreach efforts. This team member would lead content creation, copywriting, and media relations for Rodale Institute, the global leader in regenerative organic agriculture. Are you always thinking of story ideas? Do you LOVE to write? Do you enjoy translating content for different mediums (such as print, digital, and multimedia?) Are you passionate about storytelling and engaging audiences with food and farming? Then this job could be perfect for you! This position will be responsible for writing and editing content for the website, print materials such as brochures, fundraising campaigns and more. Additionally, this position will handle our extensive media inquiries and relationships, pitch stories and hold media events, and handle on-site shoots and interviews.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Content creation for Rodale Institute platforms including website, social media, email marketing, development campaigns and appeals, and collateral including brochures and outreach materials.
• Copywriting and copy editing.
• Developing story ideas, deliverables (such as guides, videos, podcasts) and creative execution.
• Develop relationships with local and national media and influencers.
• Create press releases, articles, press kits, and pitch stories.
• Plan and oversee press events.
• Respond to media inquiries and set up interviews with other Rodale Institute staff.
• Maintain public relations software for pitching, a record of stories reported, and analytics on media coverage.
• Coordinate on-site media visits including photo and video shoots.
• Develop talking points on key projects.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Cannot stress writing skills enough!
• Passion and understanding for regenerative organic agriculture.
• Broad communications experience covering social media, blogging, email marketing, and basic website/CMS maintenance a plus.
• Multimedia skills, such as photography, video or graphic design a plus.
• Experience in public relations, such as pitching, on-camera interviews, holding media events, a plus.
• Highly organized, self-motivated, and detail- oriented.
• Ability to work quickly and accurately under deadlines.
• Basic understanding and comprehension of science and research a plus.
• Experience using Constant Contact and WordPress a plus.
• Experience using and analyzing analytics a plus.
Position Type: Full Time: 40 hours/week
To Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and at least three diverse writing samples to Elaine MacBeth at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org. Please include a sample press release, and social media handles or personal website or blog. Can also include portfolios of relevant work.
ABOUT RODALE INSTITUTE
Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to pioneering organic farming through research and outreach. For over seventy years, the Institute has been researching the best practices of organic agriculture and sharing findings with farmers and scientists throughout the world, advocating for policies that support farmers, and educating consumers about how going organic is the healthiest option for people and the planet. Learn more at RodaleInstitute.org.