SUMMARY: The Organic Crop Consultant will assist farmers across Pennsylvania with the transition to organic agriculture practices and the organic certification regulations and processes. The consultant will report to the Executive Director and work with the research department, interpreting and translating soil analysis, crop production research and other organic research findings to farmers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Build our consultancy servicesby executing an effective business plan.
• Travel within Pennsylvania to consult with farmers.
• Assist farmers with developing an Organic Systems Plan and associated documentation.
• Respond to farmer’s questions regarding the certification process, organic crop production and organic farming.
• Provide assistance to farmers in choosing a certifier, filling out the application, choosing inputs and preparing for inspection.
• Execute crop specific business strategies for farmers.
• Guide farmers in establishing and managing their organic farm.
• Assist and train farmers on using research and experimentation on their farm to improve crop yields.
• Stay up-to-date on information concerning certification to ensure our organic standards and policies comply with the USDA National Organic Program (NOP).
• Assist farmers in updating Conservation Plans with private or government consultants.
• Follow the Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) implemented by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
• Perform other duties as assigned by management.
• Experience working on an organic farm.
• Strong agronomic background.
• Knowledge of crops grown in the Pennsylvania region.
• Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
• Written and verbal communications skills.
• Strong organization and planning skills.
• Hold a valid driver’s license.
Required Bachelor’s degree in the field of Agriculture, Agronomy or Soil Science.
Extensive traveling across Pennsylvania to visit farmers.
Trustful and respectful to all staffand visitors.
Send cover letter and resume to Elaine Macbeth at Elaine.Macbeth@RodaleInstitute.org.