Rodale Institute is accepting applications for an Animal Husbandry Coordinator. Primary responsibilities include overseeing the care, feeding and breeding of livestock.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Feed, water and care for all livestock on Institute property.
• Respond to emergency situations involving livestock.
• Clean and maintain all barns, pens and other facilities housing livestock.
• Prepare livestock for breeding purposes.
• Operate farm equipment as needed.
• Assist in creating models for other small farm operations.
• Conduct animal/farm field days.
• Monitor and control resources by assisting in developing budgets.
• Assist SST staff in carrying out their responsibilities.
• Assist in promoting sales of farm animal products through product development and customer relationships.
• Ability to participate in research projects; testing, gathering and compiling data.
• Operate farm and landscaping equipment as needed.
• Assist in preparing and giving oral presentations to scientific communities, governmental decision-makers, private environmental groups, and farmers.
• Able to work independently and assist in making strategic decisions with the Strategic Solutions Team.
• Perform other duties as assigned by management.
• Caring and compassionate with animals.
• 2 or more years’ experience in animal husbandry of farm animals (cows, goats, pigs, and/or horses) – including administering veterinary treatments, including injections, if needed.
• Capable of lifting feed bags, hay bales and other materials in excess of 50 pounds.
• Experience in operating farm equipment.
• Ability to work in all types of weather.
• Be active member of our team, yet work independently as needed.
• Possess good communications skills – both written and verbal.
• Flexible in work hours as farm work can be unpredictable.
Pick up supplies and parts for livestock and equipment as requested.
Other Institutional Expectations:
To be trustful and respectful to all staff and visitors.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Linda Carlson at firstname.lastname@example.org.